What a Summer awaits us at Ilkley Cycling Club as we welcome the Tour de France and Le Grand Depart to our special corner of Yorkshire.
To start what will be a wonderful week, entries are now full for the White Rose Classic 2014 on Sunday 29th June (details here) , which will kick off a week of club activities leading up to the Grand Depart the following weekend. To support all the visiting cyclists, including those riding in the White Rose Classic, Ilkley Cycling Club will be putting on a full week of events and activities alongside other local agencies and businesses. The club will be running a series of daily “club rides” where everyone is welcome. In the evenings we have our own Town Centre Races planned for Tuesday 1st July , Wednesday 2nd will be the famous Otley Town Centre races, and Thursday 3rd will see the TDF team presentation in Leeds . Ilkley has been chosen as a first tier Spectator “hub” and the weekend Stages 1 & 2 will see Ilkley and our surrounding area full of cyclists , families & friends enjoying the TDF spectacle & all the festivities planned around it .
Ilkley is of course crammed full of excellent pubs and restaurants, and we will work with them to make sure it will be a great atmosphere all week with a series of guest speakers, party-nights, and lots of other things to do.
At the heart of this, we are organising a campsite at East Holmes Fields for the whole week, using facilities at the Rugby Club. The campsite is in a beautiful riverside location, next to the famous Ilkley Lido, with views of the Cow and Calf, and a 5 minute stroll into the heart of Ilkley. See here for more details and secure online booking.
Come and join us in celebrating the world’s biggest annual sporting event arriving on our doorstep!
The Tour De France is coming to Yorkshire this week & Ilkley Cycling Club are ready to celebrate with our Cycling Festival . Find out what’s going on ICC’s Le Tour Pages - here also at www.letouryorkshire.com
○ Ilkley Cycling Club will “lead” a series of rides for visiting cyclists as well as local riders
○ We will be leading our favourites rides for club members and visitors to Ilkley. These rides will vary in distance and pace and will be led by a Ilkley Cycling Club ride leader. All rides leave the old bridge @ 0930. Maps will be available detailing our favourite rides. Please do ensure that you select the right level for your ability; it’s better to be enjoying the views than looking at your ‘stem’ chasing a wheel. Ride leaders will explain the route and what is expected of riders. Note that ride leaders do reserve the right to refuse any rider out on the ride if their bike or riding style is a danger to the rider or group. You are responsible for your safety whilst on the ride.
[table “29” not found /]
Monday 9.30am– Will see that start of our club led rides in the week before the Le Grand Depart. We will have a number of options in terms of distance and pace etc. This will include a woman’s ride, a slower mixed ride if people turn up for that recreational pace 10 – 11 miles an hour average and the mixed faster ride 12 – 14 average dependent on who’s there. All rides will be heading into the WharfeValley round the villages of Bolton Abbey, Barden, Appletreewick, Burnsall – with a longer loop for the faster group – café stop.
ICC TdF Our Classic RidesFree Map for Visiting & local Cyclists – Kindly sponsored by Sense of Space Architects & Ilkley Cycles (hard copies available from Tourist information, Ilkley Cycles, The Vaults etc)
○ Long Rides will have lunch stop out in Dales, but will return into Ilkley in the evening-
○ shorts rides will include coffee/lunch stops in Ilkley & surrounding area -
○ (Non-riding visitors & family friends will likely stay in and around Ilkley- we are liaising with local fitness clubs, walking groups, Manor House Museum, Clarke Foley centre etc to advertise planned TDF & non TDF related alternative options for those not cycling )
Organiser – Mike Firth
We’re all looking forward to an action packed evening of racing from 6.30 pm with the 2 MAS design Youth Races , the Avantigas Women’s Event & the Lister Horsfall Senior Event.
Full Event Schedule , Route Information & list of Entrants at the Ilkley Races Website here
3rd June 2014 Ilkley CC’s Ben Hallworth has been promoted to first category status in the British Cycling Category System. Following a very successful first half of the season Hallworth is the first Yorkshire rider to move from second to Read More
7 May 2014 Ilkley Cycling Club – AvantiGas 2 Day Stage Race Double win for local cycling team at two day race A local cycling club celebrated a double win over the weekend at the ICC – AvantiGas 2 Day Read More
As Yorkshire is put on the world map for cycling with the Grand Depart now less than 100 days away, an innovative new phone app called Cycle Yorkshire – Ride The Yorkshire Routes has been designed and launched around the Read More